2021 Testing at SFCMS
As we approach the end of a most unusual school year, we would like to share information on the expectations for students to participate in end-of-year testing. Unlike spring 2020, all students are expected to take the following tests as required by federal and state laws:
- End-of-grade tests in reading, mathematics (grades 3-8), and science (grades 5 and 8)
- End-of-course tests in NC Math 1 for those 8th grade students participating in this course
Unfortunately, it is not possible to have students take these tests at home. Students will take these tests in person, in school, with health and safety protocols in place. The well-being of our students, teachers, and communities is the highest priority. To support safe settings and to give students access to the tests, the testing window has been extended so fewer students are in a school at the same time. Below you will find the specific test dates, which are dependent on your child’s current method of learning.
We understand there may be concerns about students in virtual settings coming to school to take a test. Please consider the value of having information on your student’s learning for this school year, particularly in planning for instruction next year.
As we have all experienced in the past several months, by working together we can make the best decisions for each student. If you have any concerns or needs, please contact your student’s teacher for more information or a discussion on how we can best meet the needs of your student and your family.
Testing Dates & Procedures
Students Assigned to In-Person Learning in Plan A
May 6: Science End of Grade Test (8th Graders Only)
May 13: Reading End of Grade Test (All Grades)
May 14: Math End of Grade Test & Math 1 End of Course Test (All Grades)
- In-person students will remain in their assigned class all day on May 10 and 11 and complete classwork that will be assigned in Canvas.
- Parents may elect to have their child work virtually on May 10 and 11. Students will be marked present as long as they log in to their assigned class.
- Students attending in person will return their school-issued laptop and charge cord on the last day of testing.
Students Assigned to Virtual Learning in Plan A
May 7: Science End of Grade Test (8th Graders Only)
May 10: Reading End of Grade Test (All Grades)
May 11: Math End of Grade Test & Math 1 End of Course Test (All Grades)
- Virtual students will be provided with asynchronous classwork to complete on May 13 and May 14 to allow for the testing of in-person students. There will be no live classes on May 13 and May 14. Students will be marked present as long as they complete the assigned tasks on those days.
- Certain students with testing accommodations may be asked to test off schedule. Those parents will be contacted directly regarding any changes to their child’s testing schedule.
- Students learning virtually who do not need their school-issued Chromebook to participate in virtual classes will be expected to turn in their school Chromebook and charge cord on the last day of testing. Those students who need their school-issued Chromebook to participate in online classes must return their device and charge cord between May 21 and May 27, 2021.
Please call the front office if your child will not be able to participate in testing on the assigned days. We will make other arrangements and schedule makeup tests.