CCS named Sade Mangum, who teachers at Seventy-First High School, as the 2024 Beginning Teacher of the Year.
“Mrs. Mangum took risks in her classroom and was not afraid to allow her students to engage in rich discourse and allowed her scholars to discover their individual strengths through exploration. She has definitely demonstrated her ability to make connections with scholars in and outside the classroom,” said Seventy-First High School Principal Niesha Witherspoon.
Welcome to Cumberland County Schools
Where We Believe in Supporting Beginning Teachers for
“Success Unlimited with Cumberland County’s Entry Support System”
One of Cumberland County’s goals is to recruit, select, develop and retain the best personnel. Your success as an educator is important to us. This year will be filled with many rewards and challenges. SUCCESS, Success Unlimited with Cumberland County’s Entry Support System, an induction program, is organized to provide support to our new professionals.
Goals of SUCCESS:
- To assist the new teacher in developing decision-making skills to include: positive expectations for all students, techniques in competent classroom management, skills in lesson planning and techniques for effective instruction.
- To establish a collaborative professional team responsible for providing assistance and support.
- To increase career commitment and retention of initially licensed teachers.
- To meet mandated requirements related to induction and certification.
- To transmit the culture of the school and system.
Beginning Teacher Highlights
Watch this video to learn about the Premier Professionals who recently completed the Beginning Teacher’s Program!