Frequently Asked Questions

Get Connected

Contact Us

  • Driver Education
    1014 Gillespie Street
    Fayetteville, NC  28306
    Phone:  910-678-2526

    Morris Hargrove



  • FAQ’s – Questions Asked: Cumberland County Schools

    Who needs Driver Education?

    Students who are at least 14½ years old and are pursuing a high school diploma or GED can enroll in an approved driver's education course provided by North Carolina high schools. A birth certificate or passport is required to enroll.

    Driver education courses consist of two phases:

    • A classroom portion, which involves 30 hours of instruction and an eye exam
    • A driving phase, which involves six hours behind the wheel

    Upon completion, students receive a Driver's Education Certificate, which allows them to apply for a Level One Limited Learner Permit, the first level of North Carolina's graduated licensing process for drivers under age 18.

    Students who are 18 years old, but are still enrolled in a public, private, charter or licensed home school in Cumberland County may still take Driver Education; however, they must go to the DMV and apply for their permit before they can be scheduled for behind-the-wheel lessons.Once the student has been issued a North Carolina driving permit, they will need to make a copy of it and take it to the drivers education teacher at the high school or the drivers education office. Once a copy of the permit is received, the student will be eligible to be called by the behind-the-wheel teacher and will be placed on the “ready-to-drive” list. Those students who are 18 years old or older will need to have their NC permit with them when they come for behind-the-wheel lessons.

    If I drop out or fail the driver's education class, may I take it again?

    If you have previously attended a driver's education class and failed, you are not eligible to enroll again with Cumberland County Schools.  You must take driver education through a commercial driving school.

    Do I have to wait until I am 18 to get my driver’s license?

    No.  If a student takes driver's education at age 14½, applies for and receives a Limited Learner Permit at age 15, then he/she is eligible to apply for a Limited Provisional License at age 16.

    How do I get a Driver's Education Certificate - Form 452?

    Upon completion of 30 hours of classroom work and 6 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction, you will be issued your Driver Education Certificate - Form 452 by your behind-the-wheel instructor.

    When does my Driver Education Certificate – Form 452 expire?

    Your Driver Education Certificate – Form 452 never expires.  It is valid for life.

    What is a Driver Eligibility Certificate (DEC)?

    A Driver Eligibility Certificate (DEC) is a certificate certifying that the student has passed at least 70% of his/her courses and has not dropped out of school. The high school the student attends will provide a DEC if that student is enrolled.   The DEC does not expire.  

    Students who are 18 years old or older are not required to have a DEC in order to apply for a learner's permit or a driver's license.

    How do I obtain a Driver Eligibility Certificate if I am homeschooled?


    More information may be obtained from DNPE at (919-733-4276) or on the DNPE website:


    I took driver's education in another county in North Carolina.  Do I have to take the course again in Cumberland County?

    Contact the Driver Education Center at 910-678-2526 for further information.

    I am under the age of 18, and I have a learner’s permit from another state. Will I still have to take a driver's education course in Cumberland County before I get my NC Limited (Level 2) Provisional License?

    The criteria for completing a driver's education course vary from state to state.  You should contact the Driver Education Center at 910-678-2526 to see if the driver education course you took in your state meets the criteria as outlined by North Carolina law.

    I have a driver's education certificate from another state.  How do I get my certificate converted to a North Carolina Driver's Education Certificate - Form 452?

    Contact the Driver Education Center at 910-678-2526 and we will determine if your certificate can be converted.

    I completed driver's education in another state and have my learner’s permit from that state.  Will North Carolina count the time I have had my learner’s permit from that state toward the one year requirement?

    You must contact any one of the NC DMV offices for the answer to that question.