Social Work Services

School Social Work The Vital Link


    The Cumberland County Schools Social Work Program provides services to strengthen and facilitate the educational process by identifying, modifying, and removing barriers to learning while promoting wellness and student success.




    The School Social Worker addresses issues such as:


    • Attendance and Truancy


    • Advocacy


    • Crisis Intervention/Emergency Assistance


    • Information and Referrals to Community Agencies


    • Outreach


    • School Achievement Issues


    • Child Abuse and Neglect


    • Social, Emotional, and Health Issues


    • Homelessness



    The National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics 

    and the National Association of Social Work Standards

    serve as guides for School Social Workers to our everyday

    professional conduct.

Get Connected

Contact Us


    Social Work Services
    Cumberland County Schools
    2465 Gillespie Street
    Fayetteville, NC 28306

    Phone: 910-678-2621

    Fax: 910-678-2617

    Pamela Story, Coordinator

Depart. Q & A

  • According to the NC Compulsory Attendance Law, what is a lawful/excused absence?

    Posted by:

    The state describes lawful absences as any of the following:  sickness, quarantine, death in the immediate family, medical or dental appointments, court or administrative proceedings when the child is a party to the action, religious observances, and educational opportunities.  When this happens, parents should write a note to the child's teacher that includes the child's name, the date(s) of the absence(s) and the reason. 

    Comments (-1)
  • Do school social workers take children away from their parents?

    Posted by:

    No.  The Cumberland County School system employs 70 social workers to assist students and families with barriers to academic success.  School social workers do not remove children from homes.  However, as state employees, they are obligated to report suspected child abuse or neglect to the Department of Social Services.

    Comments (-1)
  • It appears that some children in our neighborhood are not attending school.  Who can I call?

    Posted by:

    Every school in Cumberland County has been assigned a school social worker to assist with these types of issues and various others.  Concerned citizens may contact the school social worker at the school closest to your home by calling the school directly or visiting the school.  You may also contact the CCS Social Work Coordinator at 910.678.2621

    Comments (-1)